I may have hit a great sewing milestone: I finally seem to be sewing what I actually wear instead of vintage inspired full party dresses that would gather dust in my closet. Since quitting teaching to stay at home with the kids and work when I can, my go-to wardrobe is leggings and tunics. This pairing is comfortable, easy and hides my trouble areas relatively well.
I wanted to make Victory Pattern’s Lola as soon as I laid eyes on it. Comfortable + stylish = win.
I had a lot of trouble finding a sturdy knit fabric that I liked. In the end I went with this sweatshirt fleece from fabric.com. It’s not my ideal choice but once it was put together I quite like it!
I thought the contrasting black side pieces would make a nice flattering silhouette. If I make another I would love to use some interlock or french terry with a nice print if I can locate one.
Once I had attached the bodice to the lower portion I slipped it on. The back was strangely bulky at the middle so I kind of eyeballed some adjustments and thankfully it worked out.
The only other issue I had was with the bands and cuffs. I didn’t have any ribbing that matched so I just used some of the black main fabric which wasn’t quite stretchy enough. I had to cut a larger hem band and I probably should have done the same for the neckband because there’s a bit of weird puckering there. I may give it another pass under a hot iron.
Overall, once the many pieces were cut it was pretty straightforward to put together. I can see it getting a lot of wear!